Thursday, September 21, 2017

Play IS Learning

I’ve been involved with lots of different youth spaces in my lifetime. My first position as a youth worker was at a summer camp that I went to as a child. I started out there as a volunteer aid, then became a camp counselor for five years. When I think back to why I became a youth worker this experience always comes to mind. Working as a camp counselor at Linden Place in Camp in Bristol was a great experience. I realized that it was something I’m good at it, and thoroughly enjoy. It was also the first time I worked with a student that has autism which is the population I know want to work with. After that I worked at a different summer camp in Ashby, MA. This camp was for teenagers, eighth and ninth graders. My experience there was not the best I ended up leaving early actually. This issue was not the campers, but the staff specifically my boss. The conditions were terrible, and I did not agree with a lot of the policies. The camp was a leadership-based camp. I was the express leader (so I did art activities). I learned a lot about leadership at that camp, and walked away with a lot of problem-solving skills as well. The current youth space I am in is an after school wrestling program. This has been an amazing experience, and one of the best spaces I’ve worked in so far. I am an assistant coach for a middle school wrestling team in Providence. Before starting this program I had never wrestled or worked in an inner-city school. Learning the sport has taught me a lot about myself, and being a coach to “at-risk” students has taught me a great deal as well.
At Linden Place play was very organized and was a part of the campers routine. There were set times where the campers could play, and set times where the campers had to work or do activities. They did not frame the activities as play even though they were. I was a music counselor, and we played with instruments and sang all day long. There always had to be a lesson attached to each day, even though the children were learning a great amount just by playing the instruments and learning songs.
At Camp Lapham in MA the campers didn’t play very much. Similar to what Jenkins talked about they tried to disguise learning as playing. So tried to make the activities about leadership more fun.
At Beat the Streets we allow lots of playing to happen. The students enjoy wrestling very much, and we try to incorporate games as much as possible. We participate alongside the students, so the coaches get to play as well. It’s a great environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment